I was really excited when I heard about the idea of summer schools, as I knew how much it would support pupils with the transition to secondary school. I hope this opportunity gives us a chance to give them a bit of optimism and excitement for the future!
Andria Zafirakou is the 2018 Global Teacher Prize winner and arts and textiles teacher at Alperton Community School in North West London.
Related content and links
About the teaching blog
A Department for Education blog for teachers, by teachers.
- Rediscovering teaching: my experience of returning to the classroom 26 January 2022
- Embracing technology in school has changed how we teach 17 January 2022
- How schools are managing attendance effectively 10 December 2021
- Teenagers and testing fatigue, 4 top tips to keep your students testing 8 December 2021
- Becoming an Academic Mentor: making a difference to pupils’ education most impacted by the pandemic 7 December 2021