I was really excited when I heard about the idea of summer schools, as I knew how much it would support pupils with the transition to secondary school. I hope this opportunity gives us a chance to give them a bit of optimism and excitement for the future!
Andria Zafirakou is the 2018 Global Teacher Prize winner and arts and textiles teacher at Alperton Community School in North West London.
Related content and links
About the teaching blog
A Department for Education blog for teachers, by teachers.
- Holiday Activities and Food (HAF): How the successful programme improved the mental health of vulnerable children 8 October 2021
- Our journey with the National Tutoring Programme (NTP) 30 September 2021
- How we’re keeping our students engaged with testing as they return to school or college 26 August 2021
- How the reception baseline assessment will be a fairer progress measure and give teachers more recognition 19 July 2021
- The lead up to results days 19 July 2021