Janine Ashman, Director of Learning and Unlocking Excellence English Hub Lead at St. Peter’s primary school in Somerset tells us about how using a phonics scheme has improved learners’ reading skills. Reading at the heart of our curriculum At St …
Janine Ashman is the Deputy Headteacher at St Peter’s Church of England Primary School, part of the Lighthouse Schools Partnership, in Portishead North Somerset.
Our staff survey in January 2016 showed us that workload was an issue at our school. Marking was one of the tasks our teachers were spending a large amount of time on, often over 20 hours a week - but …
At St Peter’s Primary school, North Somerset, we have long been looking into ways in which we can try to reduce teacher workload. We began our journey by reading the teacher workload review group paper 'Eliminating unnecessary workload around planning …
Related content and links
About the teaching blog
A Department for Education blog for teachers, by teachers.
- How we’re striving to get more girls into computing 11 February 2024
- Inspiring and enabling pupil and learner voice 5 February 2024
- Use the National Tutoring Programme to prepare your pupils for exams 29 January 2024
- Our school’s behaviour strategy 18 January 2024
- Flexible working in our school 14 December 2023